to the Department of Organ,
Organ Research, and Church Music
Head of Department:
o.Univ.-Prof. Wolfgang Sauseng
+43 (1) 71155 - 2600
Univ.-Prof. Mag.art. Johannes Ebenbauer
+43 (1) 71155 - 2615
The Department of Organ, Organ Research, and Church Music is the oldest of its kind in the german-speaking world.
In 1910 the Departement of Church Music was founded at the „K.K.Akademie für Musik und darstellende Kunst in Wien“, thus making it the oldest Department of Church Music in the german-speaking world.
As of 1st of March 2002, due to the restructuring of the organisation of the „Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien“, the Department of Church Music, the Institute for churchmusical practice, the Organ Department belonging to the Keyboard Department and the Institute for organological studies were united in one institute.
All resources of this new institute are now available to the students of Catholic and Protestant Church Music, as well as to organ major students.
The choir of church music students deserves a special mention. During the study year, the choir performs during the services in the St. Ursula’s Church, in the center of Vienna. Every year, approximately 5 of these services, in which music ranging from Gregorian Chant and earliest polyphony to masses of Igor Stravinsky and Arvo Part are performed, are being broadcasted live by the Austrian broadcasting company ORF. (translated by P.D.Peretti)