Forum "El Sistema"
A model of social inclusion for the world
Foto: ©Gerardo Gómez
16 May 2018: The objective of the event is to discuss how the music can be a powerful instrument to promote social inclusion and a culture of peace and therefore contribute to preventing violence against children.
The "National System of Youth and Children's Orchestras and Choirs of Venezuela" (El Sistema), a social project founded by maestro José Antonio Abreu in 1975. Its main objective has been the inclusion of children and youth to the musical training as a tool of the collectively social transformation.
El Sistema is a public policy implemented by the Venezuelan State that has reached one million members in 2018. The impact of this public policy has been positively evaluated through scientific studies conducted by UNDP and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), that has recognized the positive effects of this social and cultural model on social inclusion, culture of peace and reduction of aggression and self-regulation in children and youth. The results of the evaluation will also be presented at the event.
- 3.00 – 4.30 pm: Forum El Sistema
- 4.30 – 4.45 pm: Break
- 5.00 – 5.30 pm: Alma llanera Ensemble
- 5.30 – 6.00 pm: National Youth Orchestra
- 6.15 – 6.45 pm: Concert Simón Bolívar National Choir, Manos Blancas Choir, National Youth Orchestra
Foto: ©Gerardo Gómez
- Eduardo Méndez, Executive Director, Simón Bolívar Musical Foundation
Mr. Méndez will present the history of El Sistema, its philosophy, structure, modules, its programs and the musical centers located in the country. Additionally, he will explain the alliances of El Sistema and the United Nations.
- Rosicler Gómez Mackliff, Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Programme
Exemplary practices in social inclusion and a culture of peace of El Sistema
- Lorena lugo, Director of the Support Programme to the Centro de Acción Social por la Música – Inter-American Bank
Evaluation Research on the effect of the National System of Youth and Children's Orchestras and Choirs of Venezuela
- Peter Röbke, Professor at the mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts of Vienna
The motivational and social aspects of learning processes in El Sistema, as a basis for its societal impact.
- Leila Weber, Violist and Director of Hangmusik
El Sistema: the Venezuelan musical training from an European Perspective
Alma llanera Ensemble
- Pablo Camacaro: Rapsodia de Tierra Llana;
- Hugo Blanco, Arrg. Angel Romero: Moliendo Café;
- Orlando Cardozo: Relatos Ritmicos;
- Arrg: Luis Herrera: El Gaban de Figueredo, Folklore;
- Orlando Cardozo: Picaresca;
- Angel Castillo y Folklore: Tucupido;
Concert National Youth Orchestra
- Beethoven: Sinfonía n° 5.
Concert Simón Bolívar National Choir, Manos Blancas Choir, National Youth Orchestra
- W.A.Mozart: Misa en Do Mayor "Coronación" K317
- Pedro Elías Gutierrez: Alma Llanera
Forum "El Sistema" – A model of social inclusion for the world
16 May 2018, 3.00 pm
mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna
Joseph Haydn Hall