Termine aus dem mdwOnline-Terminkalender in Ihren Groupwisekalender einbinden!
Kein manuelles "Übertragen" mehr! (Kurs-)Termine werden automatisch synchronisiert.
Was Sie dafür tun müssen: siehe mdwOnline, Visitenkarte, Ressourcen, Handbücher, Allgemeines für Bedienstete, "mdwOnline-Terminkalender in GroupWise abonnieren".
PhD Supervision Tools & Strategies
The seminar concerns supervision at the doctoral level. The seminar is very practice-oriented, and the main emphasis is on exchanging and practicing concrete supervision principles, methods, and tools. It focuses on three main competences:
- text-related skills: to convey criteria for academic papers, to support students’ writing processes, and to provide feedback that is forward-looking, accurate, specific, and criteria-based
- relationship and process management skills: to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with students and potential co-supervisors, and to match expectations early and regularly
- communication skills: to ask questions that encourage students' independence, to listen actively, and to meta-communicate the content and process of the supervision
At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- describe and substantiate their practice as supervisors
- align expectations with students and the team of supervisors early and regularly in a project
- encourage students' writing processes and provide constructive feedback
- apply different communication methods that ensure progression in supervision meetings and promote students’ independence
- identify and manage typical conflicts in supervision, such as balancing between support and structure, between product and process supervision, between private and professional elements in supervision relationships
- include the disciplinary community as a resource in supervision
- analyze and solve concrete dilemmas in their own and colleagues’ supervision practice
The workshop combines different teaching methods: short lectures on research-based supervision, group work, general discussions, and individual exercises. The workshop is held in English.
Participants are expected to allocate approx. four hours to prepare before the seminar by completing three tasks:
- Write a so-called Supervisor letter. It fills 1-2 A4 pages and describes your individual supervision style – how you practice supervision, how regular you meet with your students, what you expect from them, etc.
- Briefly describe an issue or problem, which you are currently facing in relation to one of your PhD students. The description should be approximately ½ A4 page
- Choose an excerpt of written feedback that you have provided to one of your students.
In case, you don’t have experience as a doctoral supervisor, then please complete the tasks by use of examples from your supervision of Master’s theses.
A seminar in cooperation with the mdw Research Support and the Dean’s office for scientific studies.
Termine & Location
- 26.09.202209:00 - 15:00
- 27.09.202209:00 - 15:00
Hauptgebäude, Bauteil S
(Anmeldung bis drei Arbeitstage vor Kursbeginn möglich.)