The Live Auditions are not public
Course of pre-selection
- Time for trying out the audition piano is limited to 5 minutes.
- The audition itself lasts approximately 15-20 minutes.
- All three pieces must be prepared entirely and played by memory.
- The piece you are starting with can be chosen freely.
- Please note that the Jury is allowed to interrupt and to ask for another movement.
- All repeats must be played within Variations but can be chosen freely within Sonatas.
- The final invitation to the 15th International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna will be announced on the 15th of March 2017 after completion of all pre-selections.
Location of the auditions:
2-3 February 2017: New York City
Yamaha Artist Services New York
689 Fifth Avenue, 3rd Floor (Piano Salon)
New York, NY 10022
(Entrance located on the north side of 54th Street, between Madison & Fifth Avenues)
8-9 February 2017: Tokyo
7-9-14 Ginza, Chuo, Tokyo Japan
13-14 February 2017: Bonn
Bonngasse 18-26, 53111 Bonn
17 February 2017: London
Royal Academy of Music
Marylebone Road, London NW1 5HT, UK
20-25 February 2017: Vienna
Liszt-Saal der mdw – Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien
Lothringerstraße 18, 1030 Wien
27-28 February 2017: Berlin
Joseph-Joachim-Konzertsaal der Universität der Künste Berlin
Bundesallee 1-12, 10719 Berlin
For the first time in its history, the International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna allows recorded Screening Auditions!
New for our 15th edition in 2017:
Anyone incapable of participating at one of our International Screening Auditions in February 2017 may send in his or her recorded audition no later than January 15th, 2017 (no exceptions) instead of participating at one of the locations of our Screening Auditions. The recording can be send either by DVD or USB-Stick to our competition office (Lothringerstrasse 18, 1030 Wien, Austria) or via YouTube-Link, Dropbox-Link, WeTransfer or any other comparable service to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is mandatory that you apply for the competition via our online application form and that you pay the application fee (95 Euro) before sending in your application video.
Please understand that we cannot send back material sent to our office. Please mark your DVD or USB-Stick with your name.
The recording shall be taken by one camera, showing the right profile of the performer. To improve sound quality, the use of external microphones is advised.
The required program for the recorded Audition is the same as for the Live Auditions (for details, please refer to our Repertoire requirements). The recordings need to include all movements of all the chosen works!
We recommend the participation at one of our Live Screening Auditions, however, we want to offer this possibility to anyone unable to participate at those locations.
The 15th International Beethoven Piano Competition Vienna takes place from May 28 – June 8, 2017, with the final round in the Golden Hall of the Musikverein Wien.
- Any alterations to the date of entry examination are only possible in consultation with the competition office.