Living in Vienna

Searching for accommodation

Finding a place to stay is completely up to the student.

To help you out in your search you can take a look at the following:


Austrian Exchange Service (= OeAD )

Oead-Housing Office Vienna, T: +43 1 53408 800
Ebendorferstraße 7, 1010 Wien


The OeAD-Housing Office provides places in student halls of residence and small flats for recipients of OeAD grants, Erasmus students, in general exchange students and visiting professors.

Please read the conditions and the FAQs carefully and apply online as soon as possible.

Please note: after filling out the application form, you will be asked to pay a registration fee of 35 EUR and a housing offer will be sent to you via e-mail. To accept the offer you will have to pay a deposit of 950 EUR.


Housing Anywhere

This online platform helps you find and book an accommodation from private owners safely. Proof of accommodation for Visa purposes has to be requested from the landlord. You can sign up for this service here.

Housing Anywhere will provide you with regular updates of new rooms available in Vienna. This service is free of charge, you are not obliged to book any of the suggested rooms. Only if you book a room on Housing Anywhere an administrative fee is charged for Housing Anywhere’s secure booking system.


Further Links:

Cost of living

In addition to the cost for housing you will need at least 250 - 300 € per month for your living expenses.

Public Transport

Vienna has a good transport system with buses, trams, underground and municipal trains that run from about 05.30 to around midnight. There are also night buses (“NightLine”).

If you intend to use public transportation regularly, you can buy a semester ticket (September – January, February – June) for students at the advance ticket-offices or online

Time tables and Route maps

Registration in Austria


Students have to make Visa arrangements by themselves. For further information click here

Note: An application for VISA can take up to 6 month.


Residence Registration

Once in Austria, you have to register with the Vienna City Administration within three days of arrival. This is done by filling in a registration form (Meldezettel) and submitting it to the Municipal District Offices.

Before leaving Austria, you are required to cancel this registration within three days before departure.


Confirmation of Registration

The confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) is a document confirming the residence title of EEA and Swiss nationals who moved to Austria after 1 January 2006. EEA and Swiss nationals who have just registered at their first address in Austria (Meldezettel) and intend to stay in the country for more than three months have to apply in person for a confirmation of registration at Municipal Department 35 within four months after their arrival in Austria.

Please note that it constitutes an administrative offence punishable with a fine if you do not apply for a confirmation of registration on time.


Municipal Department 35

Dresdner Straße 93, 1200 Wien, T: +43 1 4000 35244

Opening hours:
Mon: 08.00 – 12.00
Tue: 08.00 – 12.00
Wed: by appointment only
Thu: 08.00 – 12.00 & 15.30 – 17.30
Fri: 08.00 – 12.00

Fees: Approx. €55

Requirements and required documents:

  • Valid travel document (passport or ID card)
  • Valid residence registration (Meldezettel) in Vienna
  • Proof of health insurance that is valid in Austria and covers all risks
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence (Income statements such as scholarships or confirmation of maintenance payments by parents including bank statements are accepted)
  • confirmation of enrolment at a university (Inskriptionsbestätigung), or student ID card

Health and insurance


The European Health Insurance Card was introduced progressively from 1 June 2004 until 31 December 2005. Since 1 January 2006 it has been issued and is recognised in all of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

Citizens of countries not listed above: Note that you will be required to purchase health insurance in your home country for the duration of your stay in Austria.


You should always contact the health insurance institution to which you are affiliated. It is up to each Member State to decide how to organise the distribution of the European Health Insurance Card on its own territory.


The most frequently asked question is: Can I go to any doctor of my choice?

You can only make use of the European health insurance card if you go to a health care provider covered by the health insurance scheme provided for by law in the host State If you go to a private doctor or establishment, you will not be able to use your European health insurance card. Please note that your E-Card doesn’t contain any medical information.


Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse, T: +43 1 60 122-2820
Wienerbergstraße 15-19, 1103 Wien



As a student in Austria you are automatically covered by the ÖH insurance policy for liability and accident insurance (insurance fee is included in the ÖH membership fee) in case of damages and accidents within the scope of your studies.